Cheeseburger Stuffed Bread Loaf
I received this recipe more than 25 years ago in a chain letter. This stuffed bread travels well to picnics, and leftovers are excellent for lunch. - Sheila Cormack, Vanderhoof, British Columbia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add onion, cheeses, ketchup, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; set aside. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and remaining salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Using a fork, stir in milk until mixture forms a ball. On a floured surface, roll out dough into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Spread meat mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Pinch edges to seal. Place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into slices.
Freeze leftovers of Cheeseburger Loaf for up to 3 months in an airtight container. Reheat on a baking sheet at 375° for 20 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 210 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 537mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cheeseburger Loaf in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book