- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-3/4 pounds (about 4 cups) cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package (16 ounces) Velveeta process cheese, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and crumble beef until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In same saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until tender, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, beef and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly, 3-5 minutes. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook until cheese melts. Remove from heat; blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews forCheeseburger Soup
"My kids loved this soup! I have to admit though, I did take a shortcut to make this a meal I could whip up after work. I substituted the prep work and cooking veggies with two cans of Veg-All. It was really good!"
"Family loved the recipe and I served it in the bread bowls from this site. Thank you for sharing. We used reall cheese instead of the Velveeta."
"Love this soup and do share the recipe with everyone I serve it to. I find it's a great way to use up leftover pot roast."
"We loved this. I added a few dashes of Texas Pete hot sauce to give it a little more pizazze, but otherwise made as directed. Will save and make again."
"I followed the recipe as written. It was delicious ! A new family favorite."
"I've been making this soup for over 10 years. It's delicious! But my original recipe I printed from this website calls for 8 oz of Velveeta. I think when it's made with more Velveeta it tastes grainy. I also always use 1-1 1/2 lb of ground beef. Usually I'm cooking for a large crowd so it goes farther."
"I have been making this for years and have received many compliments and requests for the recipe!!"
"Just made this tonight.I'm writing this between bites of my second bowl.The empty bowls from the kids says it all. Delicious. Period."