- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-3/4 pounds (about 4 cups) cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package (16 ounces) Velveeta process cheese, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and crumble beef until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In same saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until tender, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, beef and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly, 3-5 minutes. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook until cheese melts. Remove from heat; blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews forCheeseburger Soup
"I have been making this for years and have received many compliments and requests for the recipe!!"
"Just made this tonight.I'm writing this between bites of my second bowl.The empty bowls from the kids says it all. Delicious. Period."
"I make this with cheddar not velveeta."
"A favorite in our house! I have been making it for years. If I bring it somewhere, I have to share the recipe. It's a keeper! I sub out a little of the cheese for a spicy cheese such as pepper jack or hot habanero and add a little bacon."
"Made it for a gathering and received rave reviews from everyone!"
"I've been making Cheeseburger CHOWDER for 20 years my recipe is better...but nice attempt lol Velveeta"
"I make quantities of this recipe & freeze for Me & Gifts...that's how good it is!"
"Made this for supper tonight and it was delicious!! I plan on sharing this recipe with my grown daughters. I know my son-in-law will love it!!"
"Can you make this cheeseburger soup in a crockpot ?"
"A new family favorite!!"