- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked, crumbled and drained
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 3 cups milk
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- In a large saucepan, combine the carrot, onion, celery and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the beef, rice, milk and cheese; simmer, uncovered, until cheese is melted, stirring occasionally (do not boil). Just before serving, whisk in the sour cream; heat through. Yield: 10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forCheeseburger Soup with Rice
"Good recipe. If you don't have or like rice you can use about 2 cups of chopped potatoes. Also I didn't use the celery or carrots and instead spiced it up with a chopped jalapeno. If you want this soup to be thicker you'll have to modify either the broth or milk amounts. This recipe makes a good batch, so have a container to store it in the fridge"
"We were disappointed in this soup. Compared to any average chowder, it doesn't hold up, and the nutrition just isn't there, so why bother? Sad, because with all the praise I was really looking forward to a winner."
"I have been making this soup since it came out years ago in the book, only thing I do different is I don't add the rice..It's Great.."
"Delicious, easy, filling, and weight loss friendly! Fairly even balance of carbs and protein. Lots of good texture and flavor. I've made this several times at the request of my husband. You can do most of it ahead of time, and then put together at mealtime. Definitely a keeper. Thanks!"
"Best cold weather comfort food since chicken and dumplins!!!"
"Excellent flavor! No modification needed. I love the creaminess!"