These impressive loaves take a little time to prepare, but they're well worth the effort. I've used the recipe for several years. I love making bread - there's no better way to work out life's little frustrations and with such yummy results! -Michelle Beran, Caflin, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 cups Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour and yeast. In a saucepan, heat buttermilk, butter, sugar and salt to 120°-130°; add to flour mixture. Blend on low speed until moistened. Add eggs; beat on low for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in enough whole wheat flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each into a 12x9-in. rectangle. Cut each into three 12x3-in. strips. Combine cheese with 2 tablespoons of remaining whole wheat flour; sprinkle 1/3 cup down center of each strip. Bring long edges together over cheese and pinch to seal. Place three strips seam side down on greased baking sheets. Braid strips together; secure ends. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Immediately remove from baking sheets to wire racks; cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 182 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 146mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.