Cheese-Topped Meat Loaves
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup picante sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, 2 tablespoons picante sauce, oats, onion, chili powder and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into two 4x2-in. loaves.
- Place in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°.
- Place the remaining picante sauce in a small microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Pour over meat loaves. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and microwave on high for 45 seconds or until cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 323 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 177mg cholesterol, 581mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Jun 29, 2017
This was delicious! It turned out perfectly in the microwave. I used ground chuck. It was cooked through and not at all tough. By the way, I ate one loaf and saved the other for the next day. I reheated it in the microwave for 3 mins and again it was perfect.
Oct 12, 2011
I have had many disasterous episodes making meatloaves. This by far, is the best recipe ever for that. I double the batch for a family of 4, bake it in the oven at 350 for 30 min, like a previous poster stated, and it comes out fabulous! Everyone loves it! It's definatly a regular in our house
Dec 20, 2010
I was skeptical at first, not too sure about microwaved beef, however, this was fantabulous!! I made the first two in the micro and threw the rest in the oven, b/c i knew this wasnt going to work out. But the two in the microwave were awesome, I will definitely make these again!! OH and I followed the recipe exactly and they were done in exactly 6 minutes!
Apr 26, 2010
I baked a double batch in the oven at 350 for 30 mins and it turned out great.
Apr 26, 2010
I made this recipe yesterday and it was so easy and tasted soooo good. I made severl to give to friends to make. will make this again and again. I see why it won a contest.
Apr 25, 2010
Really don't like meat cooked in the microwave.Could this be cooked in the oven?
Apr 24, 2010
My bride of 46 years contacted pneumonia so I had to pitch in and make the diners for awhile. This was well enjoyed by my bride and myself and I will surely make it again. I would however add Garlic.
Apr 22, 2010
Cheese topped meat loaves are simple and easy to make and make an awesome simple dinner for our family. We tend to make these whenever we have all the ingredients and don't waste time making them too large. They're a keeper and going in my recipe box.