VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup fig preserves
- 2 packages (1.9 ounces each) frozen miniature phyllo tart shells, thawed
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Fresh thyme leaves, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 8-10 minutes or until onion is deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir in preserves. Place shells on an ungreased baking sheet; fill with onion mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheeses, egg yolk and pepper flakes. Spoon over tops. Bake 350° 5-8 minutes or until heated through. Top with thyme if desired. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Cheese Tartlets with Fig Jam in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p19