VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 beef flank steak (3/4 pound)
- 1 can (6 ounces) pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 4-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Flatten steak to 1/4-in. thickness. In a bowl, combine the pineapple juice, Worcestershire sauce, onion, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Pour half of the marinade into a resealable plastic bag; add meat. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 4-8 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining pineapple juice mixture.
- Drain and discard marinade from meat. For stuffing, in a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, pecans, onion, parsley and garlic. Sprinkle stuffing over meat. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Tie with kitchen string.
- In a small skillet, brown meat in oil until browned on all sides. Pour reserved marinade into skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Thicken pan juices if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Cheese-Stuffed Flank Steak in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p120