Here's a sandwich that does regular burgers one better—with a surprise pocket of cheddar! "The beef patties contain additional popular toppings, including ketchup, mustard and onions," lists Janet Wood of Windham, New Hampshire. "Whenever I serve these, though, folks enjoy finding the melted cheese most."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 24 thin patties. Sprinkle cheese in the center of 12 patties; top with remaining patties and press edges firmly to seal.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-9 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Serve on buns.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 477 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 869mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein.
Originally published as Cheese-Stuffed Burgers in Crafting Traditions May/June 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.