Cheese Stuffed Artichokes
—Dolores Tottino, Castroville, California
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 2 large artichokes
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs, toasted
- 2 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 slices Jones Canadian Bacon, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Using a sharp knife, level the bottom of each artichoke and cut 1 in. from the top. Using kitchen scissors, snip off tips of outer leaves. Place in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 20-25 minutes or until leaves near the center pull out easily.
- With a spoon, carefully scrape out the fuzzy center portions of artichokes and discard.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, bacon and pepper. Add oil; mix well. Gently spread artichoke leaves apart; fill with bread crumb mixture.
- Place in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until filling is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 151 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 387mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Stuffed Artichokes in Country Woman August/September 2007