Cheese Spinach Manicotti
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese
- 1-1/4 cups 2% cottage cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) manicotti shells
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, wine, Italian seasoning, sugar and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, for filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Stir in the cottage cheese, spinach, Parmesan cheese, eggs and salt.
- 3. Stuff cream cheese mixture into uncooked manicotti shells. Spread 1 cup sauce into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spay. Arrange manicotti over sauce. Pour remaining sauce over top.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until pasta is tender. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
2 each: 389 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 722mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 5g fiber), 25g protein.
Sep 10, 2012
Love it !
Apr 4, 2011
This recipie was really good and made believers out of my family that not every dish needs meat! Thank goodness it was so tasty or otherwise I would probally never be able to pull that off again. The sauce was excellent and it really surprised me how the noodles cooked so well. I will cover my manicotti for now on with sauce to make them cook, since it was so much easier. I used low-fat ricotta instead of cottage cheese because coming from italian family, nothing but ricotta is unheard of! The ricotta was good, but I didnt care much for the cream cheese so I think next time I make this I will omit the cream cheese entirely and just use my traditional ricotta filling. Great recipie nonetheless!
Mar 29, 2011
This recipe was great!!
Mar 15, 2011
Wonderful Recipe! I served this to my gourmet club and they loved it.
Feb 21, 2011
This recipe is so good and easy. I wasn't sure about not precooking the manicotti, but it was done perfectly!
Dec 28, 2013
Excellent Recipe ! Our family enjoyed this dish. I made this exactly as written. Leftovers taste great reheated by covering with foil & reheating in the oven.
Jan 31, 2011
Rave. reviews from my bff and her 12 yo son.