Cheese Soup in Squash Bowls
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 4 small acorn squash (about 12 ounces each) , halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Sour cream and minced chives
- Place squash cut side up in two 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Brush insides of squash with butter. Add 1/2-in. of hot water to each dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the apples, carrot and onion in oil until tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar, mustard, allspice, ginger and pepper. Cool slightly.
- Process in small batches in a blender until smooth. Return to the pan. Add cheese and cream; cook and stir until smooth and blended. Place squash halves on serving plates; fill with soup. Garnish with sour cream and chives.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 170 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 572mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 1, 2012
The ingredient combination was a little too weird for me. A differant taste sensation. I would recomment cooking the squash and scooping it out to add the blendar so everything in the acorn squash is smooth, rather than chunks of squash in each bite.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.