"I think it's a shame that souffles are often overlooked," writes Dennis Blankenbaker of Flora, Illinois. "These individual souffles are elegant for brunch."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or Swiss cheese
- 4 large eggs, separated
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, mustard and cayenne until smooth; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cool slightly. In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture.
- Pour into four greased 10-oz. souffle dishes or custard cups. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve immediately.
May 28, 2018
This is my go-to Souffl? recipe. Very basic and can add what you like. Great with smoked gouda or gruyere.
Dec 22, 2014
Very simple to make and tastes good. Next time I will add some more spices as it was a bit bland for my taste.