- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese or Swiss cheese
- 4 eggs, separated
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, mustard and cayenne until smooth; gradually add the milk. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Pour into four greased 10-oz. souffle dishes or custard cups. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forCheese Souffles
"Very simple to make and tastes good. Next time I will add some more spices as it was a bit bland for my taste."