Cheese & Sausage Pastry Poppers
Refrigerated pie crust makes easy work for these bite-size appetizers.They are a delicious mix of sweet and savory. —Jeanette Nelson, Bridgeport, West Virginia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 2/3 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup peach preserves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and shallots over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastries. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Press circles onto the bottom and up the sides of 30 greased miniature muffin cups; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the apricots, preserves and vinegar. Cook and stir over medium heat until apricots are softened. Remove from the heat; stir in sausage mixture. In a small bowl, combine the cheeses.
- Spoon 3/4 teaspoon cheese mixture into each pastry-lined muffin cup; top with 1 tablespoon sausage-fruit mixture. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake at 425° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 127 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Blue Peach Sausage Poppers in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011