The cheese sauce makes cauliflower hard to resist...even for picky eaters! I like to serve this vegetable dish at holidays and also for lunch along with pork sausage links, croissants and a green salad. —Ruby Zein, Monona, Wisconsin
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
- Place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add cauliflower and salt. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes or until cauliflower is crisp-tender. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and thyme until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Drain and pat cauliflower dry; place on a serving platter. Top with cheese sauce; sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Cut into wedges. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Cheese Sauce Over Cauliflower in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p126