- 12 medium potatoes, peeled (about 5 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Fresh or dried chives, optional
- Place potatoes in a large kettle; cover with water. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook until tender. Drain; mash potatoes until smooth. In a saucepan, cook and stir butter, cheese, milk and remaining salt until smooth. Stir into potatoes; fold in egg. Pour into a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until puffy and golden brown. Sprinkle with chives if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forCheese Potato Puff
"This is even better when you whip it up until smooth in a sturdy stand mixer."
"I would rate this delicious food five stars, but it is lacking in the cheese and salt department. I also added chives, which made it amazing. I added three teaspoons extra salt, and I plan on tripling the cheese next time"
"Love this!!!! It's going into my 'favorites' box!"
"We didn't care for this too much. It wasn't awful, but not something I would make again."
"I love being able to pre prepare this dish and cook it later."
"My family enjoys this recipe because it tastes like mashed potatoes and I like it because I can make it ahead. It's comfort food at its best. I also halved the recipe."
"Potatoes for a crowd. The cheese is a nice variation on regular mashed potatoes. I like it with the chives."
"the recipe needs more flavor it tasted the same as a box recipe. I would try to add chives!"