- 2 medium potatoes, sliced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Place potatoes and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until almost tender. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Drain potatoes. On a double thickness of greased heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square), layer half of the potatoes, bacon, onion, cheese and butter. Repeat layers.
- Fold foil around potato mixture and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 12-14 minutes or until potatoes are tender and cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forCheese Potato Packet
"Really good and easy to make. Used Oscar Mayer real bacon pieces, sprinkled w/ cracked black pepper and shredded tex-mex cheese b/c that's what I had on hand. Will definitely make again experimenting w/ different cheeses."
"Good stuff Maynard!!! We do this as camping grub on the campfire coals. Cook the bacon in the wave, why dirty a skillett? And you can do the taters and bacon ahead at home and assemble at the campsite if you are not "roughing it smoothly" in a RV as we do."
"This is nothing new to me, I'm sure there are a lot of people out there with similar recipes. I've been making these potatoes on the BBQ grill since the mid 70s. I don't parboil my potatoes, there's enough steam produced from the onions to cook the potatoes as they grill."
"Everyone and I do mean everyone Loved these potatoes. Great for the grill or camping. And no mess, what a bonus."
"I agree! The recipe is simple and delicious. Thanks!"
"Simple and delicious!"