Cheese ‘n’ Sausage Calzones
I love experimenting with recipes. Luckily, my husband likes to sample new foods.—Maryann Kipling, Dayton, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 containers (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 4 cups (1 pound) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 pounds Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 10 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) spaghetti sauce, heated
- In a large bowl, combine cheeses, oregano and basil; set aside. In a large skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender; add to cheese mixture. In the same skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and stir into cheese mixture.
- Divide each loaf of dough into four portions; roll each into a 6-in. circle. Spoon 2 tablespoons of filling on half of one circle; fold dough over filling and seal edges. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Brush with butter. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with spaghetti sauce for dipping.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 155 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Cheese 'n' Sausage Calzones in Taste of Home October/November 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.