Cheese ‘n’ Pasta in a Pot
I love to make this dish whenever friends are visiting. Since I can make it ahead, it gives me more time to spend with my guests. Warm rolls and a simple salad make this a meal.—Carmelita Guinan, Wollaston, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 8 ounces uncooked medium pasta shells
- 2 cups sour cream, divided
- 6 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 6 ounces sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, tomatoes and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Spoon half of shells into an ovenproof Dutch oven. Layer with half of the meat mixture. Spread with 1 cup sour cream; top with provolone cheese. Layer with remaining pasta, meat mixture and sour cream; top with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 439 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 564mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Cheese 'n' Pasta in a Pot in Country Ground Beef