Cheese n Ham Strata
We love to hold potluck meals at our church, and this is the dish I make for those get-togethers. It always gets rave reviews.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 5 cups cubed bread, divided
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Place 3-1/2 cups bread in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with ham, green pepper and onion; sprinkle with cheeses.
- In a large bowl, combine soup and milk. Stir in the eggs, mayonnaise, pepper and cayenne. Pour over cheeses. Toss remaining bread cubes with butter. Sprinkle over soup mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with parsley. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.