VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 cups cubed bread, divided
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Place 3-1/2 cups bread in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with ham, green pepper and onion; sprinkle with cheeses.
- In a large bowl, combine soup and milk. Stir in the eggs, mayonnaise, pepper and cayenne. Pour over cheeses. Toss remaining bread cubes with butter. Sprinkle over soup mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with parsley. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Cheese n Ham Strata in Country Extra March 2004, p49
Reviews forCheese n Ham Strata
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 21, 2011
"Added a small can of chopped green chilies. Everyone loved it!!"