Cheese Huckleberry Pie
This huckleberry pie has a cookielike press-in crust, a fluffy cream filling and a layer of luscious huckleberries on top. I think it really shows off the lovely dark glossy berries. —Dianne Doede, Trout Lake, Washington
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling Bake: 10 min. + chilling
Makes2 pies (12-16 servings)
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups fresh or frozen huckleberries
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a bowl, combine flour and confectioners' sugar. Stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and sides of two greased 9-in. pie pans. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For topping, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan; stir in berries and water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Cool.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice, zest and vanilla until light and fluffy. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon half into each crust making a slight well. Spoon topping over filling. Chill for 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 269 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Huckleberry Cheese Pie in Taste of Home October/November 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.