Cheese & Ham Filled Sandwiches
Here’s a blue-ribbon-worthy version of a classic sandwich. When guests try the crusty buns filled with ham and rich, melted goat cheese, they quickly reach for seconds.—Clara Hedrich, Chilton, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 hoagie buns
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1 cup shredded aged goat cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/3 cup roasted sweet red peppers, drained and cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each bun. Hollow out bottoms of buns, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheeses, ham, red peppers, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Spoon into shells; replace tops. Wrap each sandwich in foil, leaving top open. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 10-14 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 481 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 1348mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.