I can't resist this breakfast casserole. It brings all of my favorites into one dish: creamy grits, tangy cheese, rich eggs and flavorful sausage. It's the perfect alternative to traditional breakfast casseroles. —Mandy Rivers, Lexington, South Carolina
Recommended: 31 Casserole Recipes for January
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- Paprika, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, broth and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add the cheese, milk, garlic powder and sage, stirring until cheese is melted. Stir in sausage and eggs. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cheese Grits & Sausage Breakfast Casserole in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p31