- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a saucepan, heat sour cream and butter to 110°-115°. Add the sour cream mixture, sugar, salt and eggs to yeast mixture; mix well. Gradually add flour; mix well. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a mixing bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth. Set aside. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four pieces. Roll each into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under. Place, seam side down, on two greased baking sheets. With a sharp knife, make deep slashes across the top of each loaf. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm loaves. Cool. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 4 loaves.
Reviews forCheese-Filled Coffee Cakes
"This is without a doubt the BEST pastry I have ever made! It is over the top delicious! I used nonfat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream in the dough and Neufch?tel cheese instead of cream cheese. WONDERFUL ! I'm making it to take to work in the morning to celebrate our OIG inspection that we passed today!"
"Tese got a rave from friends and the recipe has migrated from Alabama to the Chicago area."
"This is amazing. I didn't change anything. Have brought it to several events and have been asked for the recipe every time. They have also asked me where I bought it because the presentation is beautful!"
"I meant bread FLOUR..Sorry."
"I made this and it is amazing. One of my favorites...if not my best ever recipes. This turned out amazing!! I sub. sour cream for vanilla yogurt, milk instead of water and I used bread flour instead of all-p. (I made it a braid instead of jelly roll) I made my own "cheese cake filling". I also drizzled it with home made cream cheese icing!! TRY IT...YOU'LL NEVER BE THE SAME!!"