I found this recipe in an old whole-grain cookbook and changed it to suit our tastes, adding various spices and sesame seeds and replacing the salt and pepper. Now it's a family favorite, and I'm always asked for "my versions"!
Recommended: 52 Cheer-Worthy Tailgate Appetizers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated, room temperature
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup soft butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup old-fashioned whole oats
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup blue cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Combine cheeses, butter, milk, pepper, garlic powder and paprika in mixing bowl. Mix in oats, flour, cornmeal and sesame seeds. Shape dough into 12 inch roll; wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Slice in about 1/8-inch slices. Bake on cookie sheet (lightly greased or lined with parchment paper) at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp. Remove immediately to cooling rack. Yield: about 7 dozen crackers.
Originally published as Cheese Blue Cornmeal Crackers in Country February/March 1990, p47