EVEN THOUGH my family is grown and gone, I still like to make mashed potatoes. I came up with this variation a long time ago, thinking that it would be a change of pace. It became number one on my family's request list. It's also simple to make in larger quantities if needed. -Margaret Draughon, Clinton, North Carolina
Recommended: 80 Recipes for Serious Potato Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup french-fried onions
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, combine potatoes, sour cream, milk and garlic powder; mix well. Spoon half into a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Layer with half of the onions and cheese. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Potato Casserole in Reminisce November/December 1999, p49
Reviews forCheese and Potato Casserole
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 28, 2009
"My family loves this recipe. It's a good recipe to put a spin on typical mashed potatoes. To make it even faster I've used instant potatoes."