Cheese and Broccoli Soup
This is a colorful soup! The orange carrots contrast nicely with the green broccoli. It's made in the microwave. -Jean Pare`, Vermilion, Alberta
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup water, divided
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine carrots and 2 tablespoons water. Cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes; stir. Cover and cook 2 minutes longer or until tender. Add broccoli. Cover and microwave for 2 minutes; stir. Cover and cook 1 to 1-1/2 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Stir in milk.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, bouillon, salt and pepper; stir in remaining water until smooth. Stir into broccoli mixture. Cover and microwave on high for 6-7 minutes or until mixture is boiling and thickened, stirring every minute. Stir in cheese until melted.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Originally published as Broccoli Cheese Soup in Taste of Home August/September 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 26, 2013
Its just "ok"...I added fettucine noodle too.
Oct 8, 2012
Very yummy soup!! Did it on the stove too.
Oct 17, 2010
I love this recipe! Although, I do cook mine on the stove !