VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 containers (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 4 cups (1 pound) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 10 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) spaghetti sauce, heated
- In a large bowl, combine cheeses, oregano and basil; set aside. In a large skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender; add to cheese mixture. In the same skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and stir into cheese mixture.
- Divide each loaf of dough into four portions; roll each into a 6-in. circle. Spoon 2 tablespoons of filling on half of one circle; fold dough over filling and seal edges. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Brush with butter. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with spaghetti sauce for dipping. Yield: 40 servings.
Originally published as Cheese 'n' Sausage Calzones in Taste of Home October/November 1995, p54