Here’s a blue-ribbon-worthy version of a classic sandwich. When guests try the crusty buns filled with ham and rich, melted goat cheese, they quickly reach for seconds.—Clara Hedrich, Chilton, Wisconsin
Recommended: Our Most Gooey Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Ever
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 hoagie buns
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1 cup shredded aged goat cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/3 cup roasted sweet red peppers, drained and cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each bun. Hollow out bottoms of buns, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheeses, ham, red peppers, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Spoon into shells; replace tops. Wrap each sandwich in foil, leaving top open. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 10-14 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cheese & Ham Filled Sandwiches in Country Woman April/May 2012