"I love the aroma and flavor of basil! So when I found a recipe that called for basil in a strawberry-rhubarb crisp, I couldn't wait to try it," writes Beth Rice of Springfield, Oregon. "I reduced the fat in the recipe and changed the strawberries to cherries since I had a tree loaded with them. The tart fruit flavor goes perfectly with the tangy basil."
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3-1/2 cups frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat margarine
- Drain cherries, reserving juice. Add enough water to measure 1/2 cup. Set cherries aside. In a microwave-safe 8-in. square baking dish, combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and reserved juice until smooth. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3-4 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Gently stir in the rhubarb, basil, reserved cherries and remaining sugar.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and salt. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over cherry mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings, 1/2 cup per serving.
Originally published as Cheery Cherry Crisp in Light & Tasty June/July 2004, p14