Cheery Cherry Christmas Bread
This recipe was given to me by my mother-in-law, who was a wonderful country cook. She always went the extra mile to make every meal special. Her breads were simply the best...this is one of my favorites.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- Prepare hot roll mix and knead dough according to package directions. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Spread pie filling over dough. Combine the sour cream, egg, sugar and almond extract; drizzle over filling. In small bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Originally published as Cheery Cherry Christmas Bread in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.