Cheery Cherry Christmas Bread
This recipe was given to me by my mother-in-law, who was a wonderful country cook. She always went the extra mile to make every meal special. Her breads were simply the best...this is one of my favorites.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- Prepare hot roll mix and knead dough according to package directions. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Spread pie filling over dough. Combine the sour cream, egg, sugar and almond extract; drizzle over filling. In small bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Originally published as Cheery Cherry Christmas Bread in Best of Country Breads