This recipe was given to me by my mother-in-law, who was a wonderful country cook. She always went the extra mile to make every meal special. Her breads were simply the best...this is one of my favorites.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
- Prepare roll mix and knead dough according to package directions. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Spread with pie filling. For topping, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle over filling. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Cheery Cherry Christmas Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p110