Cheddar-Topped English Muffin Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups warm fat-free milk (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Coat two 8x4-in. loaf pans with cooking spray; sprinkle with cornmeal and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add milk and water; beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour (dough will be sticky). Transfer to prepared pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 112 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Feb 4, 2012
quick and easy--lots of nooks and crannies toi catch butter and jam. this bread toasts up nicely and tasts great!! i generally forgo the cheese on top and make it plain. makes excellent frilled cheese sandwiches as well. my kids love it--they are used to homemade bread. karen