A few ingredients are all you'll need for these tender breadsticks that get their kick from salsa. "I brought them to a wedding shower and got rave reviews," says Peggy Key of Grant, Alabama. "They're an excellent finger food for parties and equally good alongside soup or chili."
Recommended: March Madness Party Appetizers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-2/3 cups self-rising flour*
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar hceese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- Additional melted butter, optional
- In a bowl, combine the flour and cheese. Stir in the salsa, butter and water just until combined. Knead 6-8 times or until smooth. On a floured surface, roll out dough into a 12-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Cut into 2-in. x 1-in. strips. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter if desired. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Cheddar-Salsa Biscuit Strips in Quick Cooking September/October 2003, p49