- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash paprika
- Seasoned croutons and minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add potatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Puree in small batches in a blender until smooth; return to the pan. Stir in the cheese, milk, pepper and paprika. Cook and stir over low heat until the cheese is melted. Garnish with croutons and parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCheddar Potato Soup
"Delicious! I cut the recipe in half and added sauteed broccoli. Thank you, Mark, for sharing this recipe."
"I thought this soup was incredible! As with any soup, I really struggle to make the recipe EXACTLY as written. I halved the recipe (because I was only having one friend over for lunch), but I kept the amount of onion, celery, and pepper the same. I think this is really necessary for the seasoning to be right for my tastes. I didn't have any trouble with the consistency as some other reviewers did. I will definitely make again, as will my friend, who took home the recipe."
"Great recipe, easy, tasty."
"Disappointing. I made a double batch because I had some Cheddar Potato soup at a local restaurant and couldn't wait to try this one out...but it was way too bland. I spent an hour adding all kinds of things, like Worcestershire, garlic powder, more salt and pepper, and anything else I though would give this some flavor. Beside the blandness, my particular soup was too starchy. That might be more my fault than the recipe, but I used 3-1/2 large yukon gold potatoes...about 8 cups (remember, this was a double batch), so I don't think it was an ingredient problem. I'll attempt this soup again, but with a different recipe."
"A little too mushy and bland for me..I added some cooked cubed potatoes and topped with green onions..the base is good though"
"AMAZING!! I left some potatos in chunks. added some more broth and milk and it wasnt thick or stringy. i will def make again...oh and LOL at male cow lactate review..im no master chef but even i didnt mess this up=]"
"To: HiThere.....Just wondering....how do you know what "male cow lactate" tastes like? And, by the way, what IS a "male cow"?"
"This wasted all of my good cheddar cheese, and tasted of male cow lactate. Please fix it, thanks!"
"I followed the instructions and ended up with stringy clumps of cheese."
"Excellent and easy, followed others suggestions and left some chuncks along with some carrots and broccoli. A definite keeper!! thanks for sharing!"