Cheddar Pepper Crisps
"I got the idea for these cheesy, peppery, crispy snacks at my bridal shower 4 years ago," remarks Wendy Prevost of Cody, Wyoming. "They're popular for munching by themselves or with a dip."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min./batch + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Coarsely ground pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in cheese. Sprinkle with water and vinegar. Toss with a fork until a ball forms. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until dough is firm.
- Divide into six portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges and place on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with pepper; lightly press into dough. Bake at 375° for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 103 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 157mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cheddar Pepper Crisps in Taste of Home February/March 1999