Cheddar Pepper Crisps
"I got the idea for these cheesy, peppery, crispy snacks at my bridal shower 4 years ago," remarks Wendy Prevost of Cody, Wyoming. "They're popular for munching by themselves or with a dip."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min./batch + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Coarsely ground pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in cheese. Sprinkle with water and vinegar. Toss with a fork until a ball forms. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until dough is firm.
- Divide into six portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges and place on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with pepper; lightly press into dough. Bake at 375° for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 103 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 157mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cheddar Pepper Crisps in Taste of Home February/March 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.