"I got the idea for these cheesy, peppery, crispy snacks at my bridal shower 4 years ago," remarks Wendy Prevost of Cody, Wyoming. "They're popular for munching by themselves or with a dip."
Recommended: Top 10 Cheese Balls
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Coarsely ground pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in cheese. Sprinkle with water and vinegar. Toss with a fork until a ball forms. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until dough is firm.
- Divide into six portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges and place on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with pepper; lightly press into dough. Bake at 375° for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Cheddar Pepper Crisps in Taste of Home February/March 1999, p64