Cheddar Onion Squares
When I was a child, my parents always served these appetizers before holiday meals. I like to use sharp cheddar cheese for more intense flavor. —Debi Burrell-Thiem, Omaha, Nebraska
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup diced pimientos
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the cheese and water just until moistened. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes. Place pan on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in the pimientos. Spread over crust. Combine the egg, sour cream, salt, paprika and pepper; spread over onion layer. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cut into 1-1/2-in. squares. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 104 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 132mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Party Hearty Onion Squares in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.