"This new twist on an old favorite is great for company because it makes plenty," assures Debra Francis of Nathalie, Virginia. "The original recipe called for baked potatoes, but boiling them is quicker."
Recommended: 25 New Ways to Make Mashed Potatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon minced chives, optional
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water; cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash. Add sour cream, butter, salt and pepper; beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese, bacon and chives if desired. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Cheddar Mashed Potatoes in Quick Cooking September/October 2002, p37