- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, eggs, butter, sugar, salt and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead in cheese. Divide dough in half; shape each portion into a 6-in. round loaf. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake until golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews forCheddar Loaves
"This is the most fantastic and fabulous recipe EVER!! I would definitely recommend this!!"
"This recipe is fantastic. Perfect density and just the right amount of cheddar. I was thinking this bread is also the perfect density to be a "dip" bread. Hollow out one loaf and fill with spinach dip, and cube up the other to use for dipping. The middle of the one loaf just never seems to be enough. I'll definitely try that for my next gathering!"
"Nice cheddar flavor but somewhat dense texture. This was probably my own fault; I think I let the dough rise too high."
"This is one of our favorite go-to breads! My family likes to take day old, slice it in half lengthwise, spread pesto on it and add ham, cheese, spinach... wrap it in foil, bake for about 20 min, then devour, lol!!!"
"I have made this recipe a number of times, we love it and have had many comments on it from others as well."
"This was delicious! Will definately make this again."