Cheddar Ham Strata
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 10 slices day-old bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place the bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a small skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in butter; spoon over bread. Sprinkle with cheese, ham and flour. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, garlic powder and salt. Pour over ham and cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 716 calories, 45g fat (27g saturated fat), 419mg cholesterol, 1784mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 41g protein.
Apr 28, 2011
I had leftover Easter ham to use up and I actually had all of the ingredients on hand to make this recipe. I hadn't had strata in a long time and this really hit the spot. Very easy to make and very tasty! I ended up cutting the recipe in half since there was only 2 of us eating it.
Nov 6, 2010
This was a very good strata. I used half cheddar/half swiss cheese. The texture was very light and creamy.
Dec 29, 2009
Yuuummmmmmmm!An so easy!