Cheddar Ham Strata
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 10 slices day-old bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place the bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a small skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in butter; spoon over bread. Sprinkle with cheese, ham and flour. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, garlic powder and salt. Pour over ham and cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 716 calories, 45g fat (27g saturated fat), 419mg cholesterol, 1784mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 41g protein.
Apr 28, 2011
I had leftover Easter ham to use up and I actually had all of the ingredients on hand to make this recipe. I hadn't had strata in a long time and this really hit the spot. Very easy to make and very tasty! I ended up cutting the recipe in half since there was only 2 of us eating it.
Nov 6, 2010
This was a very good strata. I used half cheddar/half swiss cheese. The texture was very light and creamy.
Dec 29, 2009
Yuuummmmmmmm!An so easy!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.