Cheddar French Toast with Dried Fruit Syrup
My family loves this warm French toast on cold mornings in the North Carolina mountains where we take our yearly vacation. Each year, I alter the recipe slightly by experimenting with different dried fruits. —Jackie Lintz, Cocoa Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups maple syrup
- 1 package (8 ounces) dried fruit, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 12 slices Italian or French bread (cut diagonally 1 inch thick)
- 1-1/3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the syrup, fruit and walnuts; cover and let stand overnight.
- Cut a slit in the crust of each slice of bread to form a pocket. Stuff each pocket with 2 tablespoons cheese. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and salt; soak bread for 2 minutes per side. Cook on a greased hot griddle until golden brown on both sides. Serve with dried fruit syrup.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 768 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 179mg cholesterol, 877mg sodium, 129g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Cheddar French Toast with Dried Fruit Syrup in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.