I work full-time and don't get to spend as much time in the kitchen as I'd like. So I often make an entire meal from scratch on Sunday. This tantalizing bread is usually on the menu.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar and salt. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half. Press each into a greased 9-in. pie plate. In a small bowl, combine melted butter and seasonings; brush over dough. Sprinkle with cheese. Prick dough several times with a fork. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 196 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 456mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Cheddar Flat Bread in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.