- 3 to 3-1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons cornmeal, divided
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add water and oil; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg and vinegar; beat on high for 2 minutes. Stir in cheese and enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until dough is smooth and no longer sticky, about 2 minutes.
- Roll dough to about 1/2-in. thickness. cut with a 3-in. round cutter. Roll scrapes if desired. Coat baking sheets with cooking spray and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cornmeal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Heat an ungreased griddle or electric skillet to 325°. Cook muffins for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, turning every 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Split with a fork and toast if desired. Yield: about 16 muffins.
Reviews forCheddar English Muffins
"Do I have to use bread flour for this? I don't ever keep it on hand."
"These had a really good taste and were easy to mix up. However, I didn't really taste the cheese - may be because I grated the cheese finely. Nice recipe and I will make again."