Cheddar, Corn & Potato Chowder
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 pound potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium heat. Add celery, carrots, green pepper and onion; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended.
- Gradually stir in milk. Add broth, potatoes and corn; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in cheese until melted; remove from heat. Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pot and heat through. Stir in parsley.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 366 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 1311mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Sep 3, 2019
Fantastic! Even better the next day too. The only thing I did differently was cook the potatoes for longer before adding the cheese. I found that my potatoes took longer than 20 mins to soften. I also didn't bother with puree'ing the soup. It still made an excellent chunky chowder.
Jan 5, 2018
I made this in the crock pot. Came out very tasty. Will make again.
Mar 7, 2017
If one likes curry, then this is the chowder for you. While I like it, I don't want an abundance of it. I halved the amount and it was perfect (for me). This is the first chowder recipe that has to be pureed. I just did a flash puree so I could have chunks in the chowder.
Dec 18, 2016
Delicious, easy and quick and not made from a can or processed food or cheese.
Mar 22, 2016
This is really quite good!
Nov 13, 2015
Hi creamers!Cheese is measured by weight, not volume. An 8 oz brick of cheese shredded will equal about 2 cups in volume.
Nov 12, 2015
Just giving this two stars as I haven't tried it yet, but just have one comment. I've always had the impression that there are 8 ounces in one cup, and since this calls for 2 cups of cheese, should that not be 16 ounces, not 8?
Mar 9, 2015
An excellent chowder! I omitted the curry and used pesto instead. I didn't puree it, either. It's great as a chunky soup. This is a new favorite!
Dec 28, 2014
This is amazing chowder! The first time I made this I did not have green pepper and had to use dry parsley. I also added leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. I also did not puree the chowder. This was a big hit with my family and was gone in no time!
Dec 21, 2014
I am not a curry fan so only put half the amount of curry into the dish. Half the curry gave the soup the perfect zip without tasting of curry. I also didn't puree the soup (the family was too hungry to wait!) and it was delicious. Thanks for the recipe!