Cheddar Chive Bread
"THIS BREAD is the perfect accompaniment to a piping-hot bowl of chili. In addition to a garnish of cheddar cheese on the chili, which Mom often added, we had her wonderful bread, chock-full of cheese flavor. Sometimes I'll make the dough into rolls or soft breadsticks."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 40 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup minced chives
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the cheese, chives, butter, sugar, salt, thyme and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into two loaves and place in greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on a wire rack.
If Cooking for Two: Wrap one loaf in heavy-duty aluminum foil and freeze.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 139 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Cheddar Chive Bread in Reminisce Extra December 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.