Cheddar Chive Bread
"THIS BREAD is the perfect accompaniment to a piping-hot bowl of chili. In addition to a garnish of cheddar cheese on the chili, which Mom often added, we had her wonderful bread, chock-full of cheese flavor. Sometimes I'll make the dough into rolls or soft breadsticks."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 40 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup minced chives
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the cheese, chives, butter, sugar, salt, thyme and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into two loaves and place in greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on a wire rack.
If Cooking for Two: Wrap one loaf in heavy-duty aluminum foil and freeze.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 139 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Cheddar Chive Bread in Reminisce Extra December 1994