"THIS BREAD is the perfect accompaniment to a piping-hot bowl of chili. In addition to a garnish of cheddar cheese on the chili, which Mom often added, we had her wonderful bread, chock-full of cheese flavor. Sometimes I'll make the dough into rolls or soft breadsticks."
Recommended: 33 Cozy Holiday Breads
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped dried chives
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 3 cups flour, cheese, chives, butter, sugar, salt and thyme; beat for 2 minutes. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Shape into two loaves and place in greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Cheddar Chive Bread in Reminisce Extra December 1994, p47