Cheddar-Chili Bread Twists
Green chilies are prolific here in New Mexico, so I'm always looking for ways to cook with them. These twists are often requested by my family.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5-1/4 to 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat the buttermilk and cheese over low heat, stirring until cheese is melted (mixture will appear curdled). Cool to 110° to 115°. In a large bowl, dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water. Add the buttermilk mixture, eggs, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, for topping, combine cheddar cheese and chilies; set aside.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface and divide in half. Roll each portion into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Spray one half with cooking spray. Top with cheese mixture and remaining dough.
- Cut into twelve 1-1/2-in. strips. Cut each strip in half and twist. Place 1 in. apart on greased foil-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 350 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 373mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Cheddar-Chili Bread Twists in Country Woman January/February 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.